Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Off Piste in Bansko

After finishing a season in Bansko I have decided that I will be going back.
I've boarded in Australia, Austria, NZ, France, UK and Spain and I can count the days of Perfect Powder on my hands. You know... those 'Bluebird Days' when all your feelings cry out "SWEEEEET"! Have you ever finished a run that took ages but that was over too soon? When you couldnt see your feet or board the whole time? You have got to the bottom with a huge smile on your face and you are laughing inside?
The people around you in the lift queue have no idea how you feel and somehow they look like robots or lemmings whilst you feel like a king.
I had several whole days like that in Bansko last season. Partly due to the abundance of beginners and short easy hikes to accessible off piste means that you can keep going all day.
The closest off-piste is pretty obvious to spot but the back country is a little more obscured. Snow shoes/skins and all the usual precautionary equipment is a must but the tree runs are fairly safe and the dwarf pines hold the snow quite well.
I don't reccommend going alone (who would film you?) so take a mate, your avie gear and go mental.... See you winter 2009!

No comments: